Monday, August 3, 2020

Making Cabbage Rolls or NOT!

So when someone gets a nice big head of cabbage, some fresh tomatoes, and green pepper, and some garden fresh onions - what does one do.  Make cabbage rolls of course.
So I set out to do just that.  I washed the produce - chopped the pepper, tomatoes, and onion.  I had previously put the hamburger in the crockpot to cook with tomatoes and the onion.  I cooked rice in tomato juice -- everything was prepared and so I began...

I boiled the cabbage leaves so they would be nice and rollable (is that a word?).  Cut out the large hard stem down the middle - then I laid a leaf down and started the filling.


This picture was more what I envisioned ... but my culinary skills do not match my mental image.

I filled several but they were not holding together well at all.  I needed help.  But no one was around. 

So I decided the ingredients might look better as a casserole (and the ingredients would taste the same right?)

 A layer of cabbage, the rice and filling, and another layer of rice and then the cabbage.
Garnish with a sprikle or two of pepper and tomato -- ready to finish off in the oven.
Cover with tomato juice or vegetable stock, and bake at 350 degrees for 10-20 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment